Business LEAP Newsletter May 2021
Welcome to our latest newsletter, the third of this year, which we hope have helped to keep you up to date on the latest news and information, and to provide you details on local upcoming workshops.
It has been a very busy time for the Business LEAP team during Queensland Small Business Month. We are meeting with clients from across the Wide Bay Burnett region to help grow and develop their business ideas and help support the growth of our region.
Wishing you a warm and productive June!
– The Business LEAP Team
What’s in this issue?
- Upcoming Events & Workshops
- Client Testimonial – Autistic Perspectives
- Small Business Grants and Funding Opportunities
Upcoming Events and Workshops
Burnett Business Roadshow
NBNco Bus touring the North and South Burnett with Business LEAP and BIEDO
The NBN Bus is on tour through North and South Burnett in the months of May and June! The Business LEAP Team will be in attendance at multiple locations during the roadshow – bookings can be made to have a one on one sessions with Business LEAP Entrepreneurship Facilitators Vicki Leeson, Jason Virtue and Lynne Wilbraham.
- Monday, 31 May | 10:30 am -12:00 pm | Murgon – The Platform | Register
- Tuesday, 1 June |10:30 am -12:00 pm | Kilkivan – Kilkivan Town Hall | Register
- Tuesday, 1 June | 2:00 pm -3:30 pm | Biggenden – Biggenden Town Hall | Register
- Wednesday, 2 June | 10:30 am – 12:00 pm | Gayndah – Gayndah Town Hall | Register
- Wednesday, 2 June | 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm | Mundubbera – Mundubbera RSL Hall | Register
- Thursday, 3 June | 10:30 am – 12:00 pm | Monto – Harvest & Co. | Register
Check out upcoming Business LEAP and other local business events and workshops!
Tuesday, 8 June 2021 | 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm | 26 Lyons St, Mundubbera, 4626
In this final workshop in the series, ‘Preparing your business for sale’ you’ll learn valuable insights such as what you need to present your business for sale, what to look for in an sales agent and some of the costs that can be incurred when selling your business.
You’ll receive your own workbook, plus a one-on-one session with Vicki after each workshop. By participating in this and future Taking Care of Business workshops and webinars, you’ll join other locals on a similar learning journey and have access and support from peers and mentor Vicki.
Thursday, 17 June 2021 | 10:00 am – 12:30 pm | Stewart Room – Regional business HQ – 20B Quay St, Bundaberg, 4670
Join fellow business people at this inspiring information session!
Learn about information, assistance and funding available to help your business grow and develop.
This workshop includes sessions from Business LEAP, Department of Employment, Small Business and Training, Rural Financial Counselling Services Southern Queensland, Admin Pro Solutions and Hello Swift Web Design:
- Business Health Check
- Funding to Employ
- Grant information
- Importance of bookkeeping in your business
- Importance of having a business webpage
Business LEAP Client Testimonial
Hear from Business LEAP client and founder/owner of Autistic Perspectives, Summer.
“… The Business LEAP program has been critical to the growth of my business…not only do you walk away with a better built up business but a better understanding of what you’re doing and the whole world of business in general.”– Summer, Owner of Autistic Perspectives
Small Business Grants and Funding Opportunities
Small business COVID-19 Adaption Grant Program
Between $2,000 and $10,000 is available for small or micro businesses to:
- Prepare for safe resumption of trading in the post COVID-19 recovery
- Introduce digital technologies to improve business operations, transition into a new way of doing business or to up-skill and re-skill business owners alongside staff to ultimately benefit the business
- Create and sustain employment to maintain potential long-term growth and continue to meet operating costs
Applicants have a maximum of 6 months from the date of approval to complete the project
For more information, visit: Small Business COVID-19 Adaption Grant Program
Back to Work Initiative – Employee Support Payment
The Back to Work program is designed to give businesses the confidence to employ Queenslanders who have experienced a period of unemployment. Support payments are available to eligible employers who hire a previously unemployed Queenslander who has experienced a minimum period of unemployment directly prior to commencing work with them.
The program is available throughout regional Queensland and in some areas of South East Queensland (SEQ).
Employers can make an online application through QGrants after the eligible employee completes four weeks of continuous paid employment. Initial applications must be received within eight weeks of the employee completing four weeks of continuous employment.
For more information, visit: Back to Work Initiative – Employer Support Payment
Business Growth Fund Program
The program provides funding for small and medium-sized businesses experiencing high-growth to buy specialised equipment to unlock growth potential, increase production, expand your workforce and maximise economic returns.
Funded businesses are expected to:
- increase confidence for growth, transitioning from small to medium-sized
- increase productivity, turnover, profit and employment by 20%
- improve confidence to automate, scale up, increase market share, diversify and/or exploit exporting opportunities.
Funding is awarded through a competitive assessment process with 3 stages, including a mentoring session, application and shortlisting process. An invitation will be forwarded to shortlisted applications for a pitching session involving business experts and department executives.
Applications for this program are now open.
For more information, visit: Business Growth Fund Program
Business Basics Grants
If successful, applicants of the Business Basics grants program will receive upfront fixed grant funding of $5,000. The grant is for funding activities in one of the five priorities below:
- Training and coaching
- Website build/upgrades
- Professional business advice
- Strategic marketing services
- Business continuity and succession
Applicants do not have to co-contribute to this grant however successful applicants must pay for any related expenses in excess of the $5,000 grant funding.
Applications open 31 May 2021.
For more information on eligibility and Business Basics Grants, visit: Business Basics Grants
Business Boost grants of up to $15,000 will help small businesses to improve their efficiency and productivity through organisational development and upgrades through automated software and CRM systems. Grants can be used for website development and upgrades, strategic marketing, training and coaching, advisory services and planning for business continuity and succession.
Applications are expected to open late July 2021.
For updates on this grant: Business Queensland – Grants Schedule
Supporting Small Business Mental Health and wellbeing
Small Businesses are significant contributors to the Australian Economy – yet they suffer more from symptoms of depression and anxiety than the general population and are under increased financial and emotional pressure as a result of the COVID -19 pandemic. To address this, the Australian Government’s BusinessBalance initiative is providing $7 Million in 2020-21 to support small businesses. This Includes:
- $4.3 million to provide free, accessible and tailored support for small business owners by expanding Beyond Blue’s NewAccess program in partnership with the Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman, and
- $2.2 Million to expand a free accredited professional development program that builds the mental health literacy of trusted business advisers so that they can better support small business owners in times of distress, delivered through Deakin University
BusinessBalance will help small business owners take proactive steps to improve their mental health.
NewAccess For Small Business Owners
The Australian Government is providing funding to expand Beyond Blue’s NewAccess program to deliver tailored, free and confidential mental health support to small business owners.
NewAccess for Small Business Owners is designed to support small business owners manage life stress by providing up to six structured sessions with a trained mental health coach who has a background in small business. No doctor’s referral or mental health treatment plan is required. The program is available nationally and can be accessed via phone or video call.
Counting On U
The Australian Government is providing funding to Deakin University to deliver Counting on U – a professional development program for small business advisers. Counting on U is run in partnership with Institute of Public Accountants, CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers, Beyond Blue, WorkSafe VIC, and Mental Health First Aid integrates mental health first aid training with relationship – centred, business mentoring that will empower small business advisers to better support the mental wellbeing of their small business clients.
Helpful Links for Businesses Impacted by Covid-19
- Increasing the Instant Asset Write-Off: Click here
- Backing Business Investment (BBI): Click here
- Boosting cash flow for employers: Click here
- Supporting apprentices and trainees: Click here
- Queensland COVID-19 job support loans: Click here
- Deferring returns due to Coronavirus: Click here
- Market diversification and resilience grants: Click here
- Financial Resilience Webinars: Click here
- For more information on the above websites: Click here
Other Helpful Business Links
- Register your ABN: Click here
- Check trading name and domain availability: Click here
- Check trademarks: Click here
- Registering a Company: Click here
- Licenses & registrations you require: Click here
- Business Queensland: Click here
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC): Click here
- Australian Taxation Office (ATO): Click here
- Free online training for Queensland Small Business (Small Business Skills Hub Queensland): Click here
- Skill Focus Queensland: Click here
- Well HQ Gympie – Online wellbeing space: Click here
Reach out to one of our Business LEAP facilitators
Business LEAP provides practical assistance and support to help you develop business plans and gather information about what is required to start or grow a small business. Business LEAP can help understand aspects of business operation, including legal requirements, licenses, permits and registrations, marketing, financial management, taxation requirements and more. They can also provide referrals to services to help you start and run your own business, and provide tailored mentoring.
If you are looking to book a session with an Entrepreneurship Facilitator or looking for more information on Business LEAP’s Entrepreneurship Services, check out www.businessleap.org.au, phone 1300 249 482 or email a facilitator on: